- Optometric visits capture at risk patients between ages 15 –> 45 that PCPS do not see! We see them for blurred vision. We are the Entry point to health care that is critical before it gets costly.
- Optometric geographical distribution and office hours, makes us the ideal easy place for patients to come to, not a big central medical office that MD’s are forming for efficiency.
- Optometric contact with leadership provides access to contacting ACO leadership for entry points.
- Optometric technology – makes it easy to diagnose systemic disease via retina photography, cheaply, quickly and efficiently.
- Primary Care Optometry — providing referrals to OMDs is the most efficient use of OMD surgical skills
- Forming a Cooperative team and Branding ourselves in NY State would likely make us a sought out entry point for MD / OD healthcare partnerships. Requiring a paradigm shift:
- Retina Imaging Being Routine
- Standardized reporting to pcps
- Referring at risk patients to PCPS for consultation.
- Taking the initiative by dispensing educational materials
- Educating patients in our offices (as Dr Hom Suggested)
- Connecting patients with online dietary advice such as health letters written by leading physicians who promote diet and lifestyle changes
The resultant picture: