Last night I dreamed I saw a beautiful but depressed, isolated, lonely Island girl with no dreams of a future. She spent her life delivering food to poor elderly retired white people who lived in small primitive huts on the Island. Each and every day she walked barefoot down endless miles carrying food to strangers doors from an automated machine that moved slowly down the path following her daily labor. It was an endless task with no future, no joy, no reward and no escape. I awoke realizing that this oddly enough was my concern for passive Optometrists who did nothing but wait for a handout from VSP or EyeMed.
I awoke realizing that the challenge for Optometry’s future is much the same. Becoming like a pill counter in a factory pharmacy (CVS, RiteAid, Wallgreens) could be our future if we make bad choices. Endless boring days working in factory optometry as dictated by financially powerful national businesses.
You make bad choices, as many are doing now, by making no choices. What are some bad choices? Here is the list:
- Not joining an IPA to empower you in your state
- Not having the vision to be paying the small monthly dues if you do join an ipa
- Signing up for every cheap plan that comes your way (joining the race to the bottom)
- Letting a big business with big bucks negotiate your future work (VSP, EyeMed, Davis, BCBS, Aetna, Oxford)
- Not knowing by not reading the information from your IPA that lets you understand what is happening and why
- Not supporting your states AOA branch with membership and dues
- Not being willing to make changes in your office. Not working with the national team on vendor rebates and lab rebates that pay for your future! How can ODs be so blind! Easy, we like our current vendors, we have relationships. Just remember, if they like you too, they will match the prices and rebates our IPAs can get nationally. If they will not, then they are bringing you lollipops (which you see as friendship) and they know you are as easy to fool as stealing candy from a kid!
Staying Up On Optometry’s future: I listened a few nights ago, as the KNOWLEDGEABLE, incredible board leadership of the NYIPA discussed the future options for us to stay in the medical eyecare game. It was amazing what we don’t know and how easily we prefer to watch a football game. Many of you will spend hours doing this today; yet, your believe you have no time to read and participate in your states IPA. Get real!
Tonight you are asking will, Will Russell Wilson and the Seattle Seahawks defend their title? Can Tom Brady and the New England Patriots capture a fourth Lombardi Trophy?
Why? When you have names like Ami Ranani, Steve Rubinstein, Brian Powell, Dan Kirchheimer, Ira Clement, Vinny Calderon, Vicki Chenarides, Todd Punim and Gary Lake on your team working for your future for free, you should not miss a word! This is your team after the Super Bowl! This is the team that plays all year long and gives you free tickets to success!
What is your IPA doing for you? The players and the plays are forming teams and taking sides. Come to a NYOIPA meeting and learn as we learn about the big financial boys who plan on dictating your every future move. On the other hand learn how your IPA (working with the background support of the NYSOA ) is working with national IPA leaders to be in charge of making your dreams come true!
Ask not what your IPA can do for you, but what you can do for your IPA!
Don’t just pay dues and listen, get active! If you are a good writer or organizer consider helping the national IPA team work together or any of our many goals.
With over 5,000 doctors accross the USA in IPAs, its time the team came together for the coming Super Bowl.
The odds are way in our favor of successful profitable futures if we do. If you do!